2012-01-11

(668) We are in Italy!

We arrived yesterday. I have been on base in the hotel since then recovering from the long plane trip. I hadn't slept in over 24 hours and I was exhausted. My sleep schedule is still off and I haven't adjusted to the current time.

It's so strange being in another country. Even on base, most of the workers are Italian and speak to each other in Italian when they're not talking to you. We have AFN at the hotel and all the commercials are in Italian.

I do feel a little homesick. I am missing my old life back at Ft Drum. I had a lot going on, working, volunteering, etc. I had a home with stuff in it. Now, we've been living in hotels for a while and it's getting to me. We should get housing soon because the sponsor said there was no waiting list for the type of housing we need. So any day now... We'll have to buy an air mattress or something because we wont be getting our household goods for 1-2 months or so. I just want to get settled in our new home and start a life here somehow. I am completely out of my element.

The worse thing so far is not having a data plan on my phone. I just got the new Droid 3 in December because I was due for an upgrade. Well, the phone place here couldn't take our USAA credit card for a contract, so we both have prepay phones. Not much you can do without a data plan. Especially google maps, which would've been useful for navigating here, but it looks like I'll have to buy a GPS.

I feel so out of place here. I want to feel comfortable. I want to meet people.

I hope I start enjoying this place soon!

2 comments:

  1. Give yourself a little time to grieve and settle into your new place, then start enjoying it! What an exciting adventure! :)

    Thanks for linking up at Military Monday! :)

    http://semperwifey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my name is Kelsey, I am a girlfriend of a U.S. Sailor and so much more! Looking for new friends/ support system. <3
    Stay positive, you get to travel and see things! Im glad you are there with your hubby, it makes it so much easier.
    xoxo
    Kelsey
    http://bearatsea.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete