2010-11-07

(626) Debt sucks

Today I realized how much I really missed being in school. I miss doing homework. I miss having a goal to accomplish. I just miss it. I'm waiting to go back to get my masters until I finish paying off my student loans for the current degree. I should wait until I can use the hubby's GI bill but I don't know if I want to, but I probably will so that we're not in more debt.

I hate being in debt, I really hate it, even though it's just student loans (and about 1700 left on car loan), I still hate it so much. What we're going to do for the next year or so (however long it will take), is focus on paying off all of the debt, aggressively, very aggressively, the goal is to have it all paid off by next year. We'll know more specifically when it'll be paid off when one of the loan companies gets back to us about how they calculate interest. That and when Mike comes back things will change financially... he'll make less money (because he wont be deployed anymore) and I'll possibly work full time, but we wont know all this until it actually happens.

Things we need to know before we can figure out when debt will be paid off:

  • How interest is calculated on the Perkins loan
  • How much Mike will make when he gets off deployment
  • Whether or not I'll be working part-time or full-time after deployment
What we do is take everything I make and put it towards our debt and take whatever Mike makes and put it towards the normal bills and whatever is left after putting some in savings we put towards the debt. 

2 comments:

  1. They offer Dave Ramsey classes on post, which are really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a pretty good handle on budgeting and keeping track of our money and we've been paying off our debt quickly, so I don't really think a class would be beneficial to us. I took a class in college regarding financial management and we are doing fine without another class, but thanks anyway.

    ReplyDelete